Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Update

So I never wrote about that last day in AZ. It isn't really relevant anymore but lets just say it was a long day with a super climb and plenty of heat. Good times as usual.

I am not the best at keeping up on a blog and I think it is actually because I have too much in my head and I can't decide what to talk about and then I just end up saying nothing. I pride myself in being a triathlete that can think beyond SBR and don't like to blog on and on about training, watts and heart rate. But it seems that most of the stuff I want to talk about these days revolves around my training and I just decide to not geek out and end up with a blog that isn't updated.

With that said I think the best decision is to start two blogs. It may sound crazy but I think I will actually be more consistent with writing if I have one that is dedicated to training and one that is just about "stuff". I suppose there are people out there that might enjoy reading about my trials and tribulations in triathlon. It would also be a good exercise for me. Writing tends to ease my frustrations. With that said I will make this update about training....or lack there of.

It's funny that I use the word "lack" in my description of training because I am clearly not "lacking". I'm just not going as long or hard as I have in the past. This is a very deliberate choice. After my time in NZ, Canada, and AZ I got back to Boulder and just realized how deeply tired I was. Tired may not be the correct word because it seems to be both physical and mental, but none the less I wanted to slow down.

The reality is that my training has reached a point where gains are not really happening. I see repeated injuries and with that I see mental burn out. You can only go so long dealing with the S.O.S. I talked a little bit about some of the changes I made in the run department in a prior blog. That ultimately led to even bigger changes.

Gordo and I had a chat about things and we both came to the conclusion that it is in my best interest to not do an Ironman this year. I had been on a program that was geared more towards health but G and I made some big decisions that really back that up. Here they are:

* No Ironman this year.
* No rides over 3:30, runs over 1:30, swims over 4K.
* No Bricks
* No back to back hard workouts
* Riding only ever other day. Swim every other day. No swim, bike, run day.
* Get running consistant.
* No racing until healthy.

When I decided to make this my new training "law" I felt like a million brick were lifted off my shoulders. Don't' get me wrong, I still have some challenging goals in the sport, but I just dont see them coming true until I get a break. Not to mention I was turning into someone that just didn't really enjoy it anymore. Ultimately I enjoy training sooo much that it would not be wise of me to continue down a path that makes it my enemy. I mean, if that happens all goals in the sport are done.

In the past few weeks I have been following my plan and the great news is that my feet don't hurt anymore!!! I took my orthodics out of my bike shoes too and the very next day I didn't wake up with heal pain and I haven't since. You may think that is because I haven't been running enough but I have run 20 days in a row in racing flats with my most recent runs being between 30-50 min.

All the bike sessions I have done have been around 2 hours just cruising. I go out with Marky V on his easy days and ride with people that I don't normally ride with because I am just chillin. It is really nice. Too bad I am not straight as I am finding all sorts of hot girls to ride with LOL!

The funny thing with this new plan is that even with the time off swimming because of my shoulder, I am swimming faster than I ever have! I went to a Dave swim the other day and lead my lane in a main set of 15x200 and was hitting 2:40-2:45 (meters) on a good number of the back end with my slowest one being 2:55. I think it was one of the first swim workouts I have had in a long while where I felt truly present. I didn't have that tired feeling that I always seem to have. And then to know that I don't have to go ride 90 miles just put a big smile on my face! I went home took a quick nap and then went about my day. I think the reduction and rest is going to be really good for me.

So that is the athlete update. I should actually have a website up by May 9th and I am very excited about that because with the reduction in training I am going to focus a bit more outside myself with some added coaching. I get a huge kick out of helping people meet their goals and pride myself with getting people under 3 hours for the marathon!

I will make the switch to two blogs once the new site is up. It will be brandondelcampo.net as I lost the .com on accident and now some British guy owns it and wants $1,500 dollars for it. Good luck with that!

Cheers,
bdc

No comments:

Post a Comment