Friday, August 3, 2007

Pre Full Vineman Report

" Growing Up Del Campo"
I couldn't resist this picture of the Fam at dinner before the race. Yes, my mother looks like she got her ass kicked. No, my dad did not pull an Ike Turner on her. She fell over a wall! This picture pretty much describes us though....


Hey Peeps,

Thanks for all the good vibes prior to the race! I feel as ready as I can be. I just got back from the race check in and BOY IS IT HOT OUT! It should be a good race as the top 3 (including me) are back and some dude named Mark from Estonia is here. Apparently he went 8:50 at Roth this year. I'm glad there is a field as it makes for a better race, and I like to race. Note: I like the race once the gun goes off. I could deal without the pre race.

Getting here was quite the adventure. I had left my drivers license in Wisconsin and it was going to be mailed back to me but had not arrived. I was set to rent a car in Oakland when I got there but you can't really do that if you don't have a license. So I spent the AM on the phone with the DMV. Now that is a good time! I mean I really enjoyed the 75 min of static filled musac. Once through I found that there was nothing I could do in CO. since I have a Cali DL. That made my time on the phone with them even more special! So of course I called the DMV in Cali and they explained that they could call Hertz and prove that I did in fact have a DL knew how to drive. Problem solved! Not.....

I called Hertz just to see what they thought about the situation and they explained that they needed to see written proof that I had a DL. I tried to argue the phone case but they weren't going to budge. They offered to take me to the DMV when I got to Oakland. Oh GOODY GOODY GUM DROPS! I get to go to the DMV after I land!

By the time I land, get all my stuff and take the shuttle to Hertz it is 4:35. We all know what time the DMV closes! There was a huge line at Hertz but no line at the Gold Club Member section. I decided that I was a Gold Club Member at that point and went to the counter. "EEsssscuse me sir but are you a Gold Club Member?" said the lovely and old women that looked all of 35 and had such nice skin. I knew I was gonna have to charm the pants off of this one if I wanted to get to the DMV by 5:00. I explained my situation and found a way to make her feel important and in charge and before I knew it I was in a car with Earl on the way to the DMV. "Thanks Sugar!"

Earl was a trip. I had that feeling like I wanted to just sit back and exhale thanking my lucky stars that I was gonna get a car. Earl wanted to talk. And talk. And talk.....I have never in my 30 years of life met someone that was able to talk so monotone for so long. "WellIwasinthenavyyouseeandtheyhadmedoingelctricalinstalls....Iridemybiketowork1.38milesandIliketochangegears whenIgetoahill...." Oh dear lord take me now! The poor guy must have been so lonely for conversation that he kinda grew on me (okay he really didn't but I am trying to be nice). I just let him go on and threw in a "Uhh huh that's nice" about every min or so.

When we get there it is 4:50 and I go to the "start window" and explain my situation. She looked at me with no sympathy what so ever and just said "Mhhhmmmmm here's yo number." Thanks....I think.

Earl and I waited on a bench with the other 10,000 people. I noticed a security guard starting to close things up. Earl didn't because he was deep in a some old Navy story that made absolutely NO SENSE to me. I just kept watching the monitor for G243. That was my number.

Finally it got called and I went to window 5 (Is that a sign that I am gong to get 5th place? Oh god I hope not! You see the horrible things my mind does to me before a race!) The lady at Window 5 was very nice and said "we can do this no problem. It will be 4o dollars." Oh crap I had left my wallet in the car. I told her I would be right back. She gave me a look that basically said "get your ass back in here before 5:00." I darted for Earl. "Car Keys! Car Keys!" Earl wasn't the fastest of people. I grabbed them from him and went for the door but the security guard stopped me and said " I can't let you in after 5:00." I told him my situation in auctioneer style and he just shook his head. "Looks like you ain't getting no license today!" I ran my ass off "Oh Damn! My legs feel gooood!" At least I got a little chance to test them out. I got my bag and darted back to the door. It was like grade school when they made you do those shuffle runs on the ass fault for time. I was always good at those.

The guard let me back in but with a look. We all know the look he gave me. That one that says "I'm so lucky and he is sooooo important." Whatever!

Long story short (too late I know) I got the license and then endured the ride back with Earl and got the car. From there it was traffic most of the way to the hotel. That was fine I guess because I could just listen to the radio and relax. But why do cities that have toll roads REFUSE to give you some warning? I almost didn't have enough cash to get across the bridge! This happened to Jessica and I in Chicago once and no joke we were throwing all sorts of currency in the can. She had been in Brazil and I had been in New Zealand. It worked to our surprise! Here is another tip. When I checked my bike in the lady at the counter asked me what was in the box and I said "Shoes and stuff." She didn't charge me for a bike and I didn't lie about it. I did have "shoe's and stuff" in it. ;-)

Now I am just waiting for the folks and Jessica to arrive. We are going to go get some food from "Mary's Pizza Shack." My dad would probably call it "MAAAARY'S! Pizza Shack." My mom's name is Mary and they speak to each other like true Italians. "MAAARY!"...."Whaaaaaaat?"

Thanks again for all the good vibes!

bdc

1 comment:

  1. I'll try the "shoes and stuff" comment when we fly to Big Kahuna. :)

    ReplyDelete