Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Sally Kern

Okay people- Here is the clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRGau30jl3E&feature=related

Maybe at some point I will get smart enough to just put the actual video in the blog. Until then it is cut and paste. Watch it if you want more reference to what I am talking about.


Basically, republican (and christian) representative Sally Kern made some pretty extreme statements towards gay people. She has refused to apologize for it, and in my mind I don't give a rats ass if she ever does because it wouldn't be sincere anyway. She asked the question "what is so wrong with me as an American using my right to free speech?"


That is actually a VERY good question. We do live in a country where you are allowed free speech, unless of course you are in the media or military (the beginning of the end tisk tisk), and that freedom is something worth protecting. I think you should be able to say whatever the hell you want. I also think that we as a people need to start making sure that speech like this comes with consequences.


She has a right to have her religious views about this. She has her right to feel that way even without her religion (Which I will get to in a minute). What everyone needs to understand is that if you do not feel the way Sally Kern does and you think it is CRAZY and HATE FULL you need to start speaking up. I have said it time and time again that allowing public figures and people in power positions to hold these types of views is not just hateful but it also lethal.


It makes me so mad! Some people tell me to just let it go and understand that these people exist. Why should I let it go? I know what it does....... The sad part to me is that the gay population is too small and "injured", if you ask me, to beat it.


I am confused on a daily basis why people are so threatened by this. How did we get here? Why is this a nation obsessed with homosexuality? I think it's largely Christians. Lo Siento all my fellow christian friends but you get the majority of the blame if you ask me. I know the christian people that are friends with me are going to write me and say that "those" people are not really Christians. And yes, I know you guys don't feel that way and that there are many Christians that also don't feel that way. But guess what? That doesn't make people like Sally Kern not a christian.


But it goes beyond the Christianity because you see all these posts out there that say "Well the bible also says throw a stone at a women if she eats pig or if you cut your lawn on Tuesday you go to hell". I ovioulsy don't know the real examples that people take from the bible to contradict the whole "gay is evil" thing and I'm too tired to look them up so hopefully you have heard them. I am also tired of people using that as a come back because it doesn't do anything. These Christians don't care about those parts of the bible. They are just obsessed with thinking that it says homosexuality is the end all of end all. Why is that? I really really really want to know.


But you can't know. They don't even know. And there, my friends, is the problem. If you can't know then you can't solve. How do we go about solving the problem that a good majority of homophobia and hate comes from crazy Christians that don't even know why they feel that way? They have a right to their religion, speech and opinions and unfortunately they feel it is necessary to loudly express them. And they also like to breed....alot.


Do we decide to have a society where we just tolerate them and they tolerate us? No thanks. If you live in a state of tolerance you live in a state of hate. Tolerance is for a bad hair day and everyone hates a bad hair day. I can't believe there is a museum in LA about the Holocaust called the "Museum of Tolerance" Such a poor choice of words. It's okay to hate the Jews but just try and up that tolerance a bit so ya don't feel the need to kill em....


I guess it all goes back to influence. To the individual. To education and relations. To projecting what you want the society you live in to look like. That may sound a bit corny and new age but it's all I can come up with....



If you want to help in regards to education please visit:

http://www.matthewshepard.org/site/PageServer?pagename=Take_Action_Team_eRace_Hate_Lobby

Or you can sponsor my efforts at:

http://www.matthewshepard.org/site/TR/Events/General?px=1203161&pg=fund&fr_id=1120


Don't feel like you have to be a rock star to donate. Even a 5 dollar donation shows you listening!

Cheers,
bdc

1 comment:

  1. what a stupid Cookooo Bird!! How is that for freedom of speech?

    ReplyDelete