Saturday, February 7, 2009

Bi Costal Training Part Uno: The West.

Well our drive out to Palm Springs has taken place and I am not not in sunny Boulder Colorado but rather in rainy Palm Springs. I tell ya, the cold in Boulder really isn't that bad becasue we don't have the wetness. I think the summer in New Zealand may have actually been more of a challnege than the winter thus far in Boulder. Live and learn....

Anyway, the drive to Palm Springs went pretty quikly. Probably a little too quickly while I was at the wheel since I got pulled over. Luckily for me, if there is anyone that can get out of a speeding ticket it is me. When the cop came up to the window I had to really pinch my wrist had so I wouldn't be tempted to give him a "Sir Sandwich". I served one up on the bike in Kona to a ref and got a yellow card turned into a red card so I figured speaking was not my best bet on this one. "Do you have any idea how fast your were driving?" Of course I did but I waited silently for him to state the obvious. "wow, I really had no idea. These new cars just ride so smooth and we were on a down hill...." *smile* *look dumb* *smile* He went back to his car and took ten years to finally come back and let me know that he was jusst going to give me a warning. Exhale.

I decided to let Sasha drive the rest of the way. Driving 80 on an open highway in a car that can easily go 100 while feeling like it is 55 is just torture to me. So someone else had to do it and I decided to just read and chat with Fiona. I think the mini stress of the possible ticket gave me a headache. Sasha of course had the answer. "Brandon- All good real estate agents have a few nessisary items in their glove box. A flashlight, tape measure, Sharpie pen, marble to test floor level and 800 milligram pills of Ibuprophen becasue almost all clients will give you a massave headeache." It was like a freaking horse pill. But it did the trick and before I knew it I was headache free and less than a 100 miles from Vegas.

We decided to stop just outside of Vegas so we wouldn't have to sell a bike to pay for a hotel room. We all just cramed in one room and I got to share a bed with the lovely Fiona. Now I had to warn Fiona that while on the surface it would seem that she would be safe sleeping with me. This is not entirely true. I let her know that other "girlfriends" of mine that have slept with me have been molested in the wee hours of the night. Cicely and Jessica have both had their asses grabbed in a very innapropriate way while I was long gone in dream land. I told her that she would need to whack me upside the head if I fouund my way on her side of the bed. This wouldn't be hard as they seemed to only be full size beds. I built her a nice pillow wall in the midlle. She told me in the AM that I behaved but the bed was a freaking wreck!. She looked dissapointed haha!!!

The two of us went out for an easy 30 min run. It was so nice to be able to run. Even though I am still "dealing" with issues in my foot I was happy too be out running. I have decided that no matter what happens with my foot there is only so much I can do about it. One thing I can do is not let it affect my mood. I think staying in a good mood about it is part of the healing process. Not always easy for me to do but I am trying.

The run gave me a nice little buzz as well as the tripple shot mocha that I had :-) I am really turning into a caffeine junkie. It makes me so happy! Anyway, we made it to Palm Springs in a short few hours and settled in. Mitch has a nice new house and I am staying there with none other than Mike Montgomery. There must be something about this time of year that the two of us just can't be apart. In the past we have been in New Zealand hammering away at an Epic Camp. I decided that I was not going to be doing anymore camps, Epic or not, unless they were small training groups that I knew or I was one of the people running the camp. I made the exception here because the camp was going to be smaller and Mitch's house is now in Palm Springs rather than Yucca Valley so everything would be really close and easy. He has also been nice enough to have me help out with stuff so I wouldn't have to pay. As well, I can stick to my training and not do anaything crazy that could jeapordize my body.

Today was our first day and we all rode together. It was a nice sane ride of a bout 3 1/2 hours. There were a few small picks up between Mike and myself but nothing cray. I now have an SRM Power Meter so I am pretty excited to start some training with power. I am going to use the camp to learn the device. I know Joanna will be excited to get a hold of the data. She has her theories about me. We shall soon see if they are true.

That's the report from Palm Springs. The camp is off to a great start and there is a nice group of people here. Hopefully the weather will cut us a break so we can get the Idlewile (sp?) ride in on Monday. That is one of my favorite rides of all time. I will make sure to pop a picture or two up when I can get them downloaded.

Cheers,
bdc

No comments:

Post a Comment