Sunday, July 15, 2007

Lifetime Fitness

Here is a pic that Jessica took while I was on te run at Lifetime.



Hello Friends, Freaks and Family!


Well I made it to my next destination after I missed my flight! Most don't know that you can run more than a mile in the North West terminal in Minnicrabopolus. That is what I call Minneapolis. More on that later....


Lifetime was an AWESOME race for me. If you look on line at the results I did worse than an age group chick but that is because they messed up my chip somehow. I was actually second in the Elite Champ Race and did around 2:01.


When I got to the check in for the race everything went smooth until I noticed that my envelope said "Elite Female." It's funny because I saw the "Issues" table and thought "I don't want to have any issues" and then I see I am a girl LOL....It was funny because the girl that fixed it said "Okay you are now female to male." We were all cracking up and making jokes that they were going to check my "bits" in the back to be sure!


Even though she fixed it in the PC I found out on race day that since my number was not changed I was located in the chick rack and had their orange swim cap instead of the mens green. All the ladies loved it welcomed me to their rack. Not that rack people....lets try to keep the minds clean okay?


Anyway, I went down to the water to warm up and felt really good. I was ready to swim a PR in this distance with all that wonderfull oxygen I was breathing in. Too bad I ended up doing that but getting credit for a 28 something....oh well.....but before the swim I was lined up with all the dudes. I was the lone orange cap and since I had befriended my lady triathletes that were standing behind us they all started to chant " Go Brenda! Go Brenda!"


I was laughing in my head because when I was in 6th grade and really internally dealing with this gay thing my teacher accidentally called me Brenda Del Gada. She explained that she had a piano teacher named Brenda Del Gada when she was young and since my name is Brandon Del Campo it just freudianly came out. Wonder what all the kids in my cass called me? Lets just say that was worth at LEAST 2 years of therapy LOL. I share this openly because I think it is funny but if anyone on Team Good Guys call me Brenda I will KICK THEIR (Bad word coming up) ASS.


So luckily I didn't have horrible flash backs of 6th grade right before the horn went off. I just turned around and bowed pointing to my orange cap. Then the horn went off. Well sort of. It didn't really make a noise but we saw the fart like gas spew out and all started running.


The swim was rough (of course) but I knew that 1/2 way in the swim when I started to make my move that some of the guys would think that I am a girl passing them becasue of the orange cap. "My name is Biannca and I come from UKRAINE! I CRUSH YOU WITH MY SWIM!" One of the guys was talking to me after the race and saw me pass him and he thought "Damn that chick has big arms!"


The bike was pretty good. It was hard to find a rhythm because the roads had a lot of bumps, turns and wind. It was funny because I am not used to racing short like this and every once in a while I had to remind myself " Ride harder this race is SHORT!" I really did try to push but my aerobic system is way stronger than my legs are.....so I went around an hour or something...


Off the bike was the real test. I was told to run fast and I REALLY wanted to feel my run again. I tore out of transition and basically ran as fast as I could for two loops. My run speed top end is not very good right now but I just kept rolling. On my first lap a male in the pro race caught me and I just ran with him for the first loop. I thought he was in my race so I was very determined to beat him. When we got to loop two he said "good luck" and went into the finish. I figured I must have been running okay if he was a pro. He was working hard so it couldn't have been that slow.


On loop two I just focused on catching people on loop one. I knew I would have one chance on the small out and back to see where people were. I found out that I had dropped everyone trailing and had one more guy in my sight. I knew that I could hunt him down if I felt like hurting so I put it into "Mummy Gear" (Mummy Gear is when you are running making that HUHH HUUUHHH HUHHHH noise). If I was a tennis player I would SOOO be a groaner. Anyway I huffed and I puffed and I blew that athlete down. When I got in striking distance I had to slow down for 5 seconds just to make sure that I could pass him with some serious authority and not let him be able to go with me. He tried for about 2 sec but then I dropped him.

When I got close to the finish Jessica was there and I could tell that I was doing really well. I thought I was in 5th or 6th place but I knew by her face that I was better than that. When I crossed I heard them say that I was the second elite. I was pretty stoked. And then to find out that I had the fastest run of the day was icing on the cake. Seeing my result as 15th and 28 min swim was like eating that cake, licking the plate and then downing a pint of Ben and Jerry's and then having the sugar low hit. FUN!


I fell like I have the confidence to run fast at the Racine 1/2 next weekend now and then to also run well at Full Vineman. I mean, I only got chicked by one of the ladies!!!! In this distance that is super SAAAAWEEEEET for me :-) Oh wait, I was one of the Ladies. I guess I got second in both races haha...


Thanks to Lifetime for flying me out, putting me up and feeding me! It was a great experience and I am really glad I did it!

2 comments:

  1. Hey-I am totally glad that this saved:) I love it...great job on Saturday...keep up the good work:) You are an inspiration to me:)

    Becky O

    ReplyDelete
  2. where in the world is brandon del campo?...just kidding, congrats on lifetime and i'll see you when you get back to boulder:)

    ReplyDelete