Friday, February 1, 2008

Epic Camp Day 3- Wana get to Wanaka.



I think we had about 10K to go. This is how we felt due to the wind....

Epic Camp day 3.


The plan was to get out of my bed that overlooked the lake up in Tekapo to go on a 50 min run. I slept through that! I had taken a small sleeping pill the night before to ensure that I would get some and well, it did the trick. When I finally got up to get ready for another big day of riding I was pretty groggy to say the least.


We rolled out on a side road that paralleled a man made river. It was nice becasue it was flat with some tail wind and their were no cars at all. We stayed as a group for the most part so I could suck wheel for a good while until I woke up.


Apparantly I did wake up becasue at some point I ended up on the front and things began to feel good. I decided I would stay on the front for a while and go for first to lunch again! They give double points for doing that. Oh wait, no they don't. It was nice becasue I found a pretty steady grooze and just rode right along. We were riding two abreast so I got to have new company often.


After lunch we were going to be going into the hills which I knew that I wouldn't do that well in. Mark P and I pulled again and pushed a decent pace to the base of the climb. Not as many went with so we were actually in the race to the top at that pouint. Of course Bevan pounded it and won the climb. Gordo climbed better than I have ever seen him. Mark and I were simply there to try and displace points between the guys going for it so as we climbed we kept looking back becasue we knew that Molina was behind us and that he would be launching his attack on us at some point.


Looks like Molina called the troops a tad too late as Mark and I mangaed to keep our lead on him by a matter of seconds. But he must have been motoring up beacasue he was a ways back at the start.


The decent is where the crazy shit began. We hammered the next bits with Mark P of course pushing the pace trading of with Molina and myself as much as we could. that bridged us back up to Beavan and Gordo. Newsom dropped of at some point. The four of us rode very hard until the aid station. Bevan kept attacking and Mark and I were on some kind of mission from god. It was great! That is the kind of riding that I live for. You just get smashed to bits and go forever!


We hit the last aid station and I pretty much said "screw this, lets get there" and got to the front and motored along for most of the way back. I did just want to get there....There was pretty far away LOL. But when we did we had to walk up a big dirt hill to get to the lodge. Being so tired we decided that John Newsomw was voted off the island. But actually the accom turned out to be really cool and was a perfect choice for the camp.


Later that day (there wasn't much left of it) we went to town for an Aqua-thon (swim run). I have never swam so freaking slow in my life! I was laughing duringit becasue I thought I was going to get to experience what it feels like to come out of the water dead last. But as I came out I turned around and saw Bevan and Tobby among others LOL. How the hell anyone swam slower than I did is a mystery to me. Serioulsy!


I just cruised the run at my slow trainng pace and stopped in the bathroom a few times as my stomach is gooooone! Any progress I made on the gas issues is OVER! I fell bad for the rest of the campers.


Anyway, that is the update from the road. Maybe I will be able to be a litle more entertaining in the write up next time. I'm too tired to be witty or spell check so you will have to deal with all my spellinmg erers.


bdc

No comments:

Post a Comment