Saturday, February 2, 2008

Epic Camp Day 4- Was that really only 10K?



This is a picture from Wanaka. We rode back into Trebble Cone and this is the view on the way back. IF you look close you can see Mark P cresting the hill.

EPIC CAMP DAY 4.


Okay I am not going to lie. I am tired. We have been smacking it pretty hard for the last 3 days and I am happy to say that a "rest" day has arrived. For our "rest" day we are getting up early to do a 4.5K lake swim race and then a 10K run race with a time prediction component.


When we all got down to the lake for the swim I was kinda dreading it a bit becasue of how tired I was and how shitty the swim part of the Aquathon was for me. But alas I look at the bright side and am thankful that the lake is like galss right now and the mountains surounding us are holding back any bad weather. Really though, how bad can it be? In Wanaka to do an open water lake swim with a great group? Life ain't that bad.


The swim took off and of course the big fish in the group took off. I wasn't going to go out that hard but normally I would at least try and stay on G's feet for as long as I can. His feet are not really "reality" for me right now especially since he is trying to be on Molinas feet LOL. BUt normally I like to give it a try.


I did most of the swim on my own leading Tobby around. It was two loops and I had him pull for a wee bit but you know my massive strength and impeckable swim form just made going that slow speed too boring so I had to pass him up LOL...Kidding of course! We had a nice little kick for the last 300 or so. He is a great guy and always makes open water swiming more fun for me. There wasn't anyone real close behind us.


After that we trucked back towards the lodge and got out of the vans on a road that we measured out a 10K run course. It would be a two loop out and back. The fun part was that it was a race but it was alos a point challenge to try and guess your time. No watches for the race obviously. I predicted 41:11. That would be pretty slow for me under normal conditions but I figured i would try and run 4 min K's and then when you add in the fatigue of that last 3 days I woudl be a bit slow. I am pretty good at these guess your time things. The first year I was 1 second off my guess of a 1/2 marathon time.


The race starts and I am NAKERED! My quads hurt so bad that I was actually wondering how I would get through a 10K run! I figured that I would be way off my time but tried to keep the shuffle pace I was going. Bevan was pulling out all the tricks and took it out and ran himself into second place overall. I wanted to try and run fast so bad but it went against my "stay injury free" moto and probably wouldn't have been there anyway..


AS I got close to the finish I really thought it was going to be slow but turned out that I was only 16 seconds off my predicted time. I totally forgot that all my race runs end in a kick and I didn't do that. Maybe that would have hit it on the head? Anyway, I was glad it was over. My quads were DONE.


Later we rode out to Trebble Cone which is a really nice 60K ride and has some pretty amazing sights. I will get some phots up when I get back to CHC. Mark P and I gave "riding easy" a new definition. I was starting to get a bit of a sore spot in my knee so I spun as slow as I could. I felt the mental cloud that goes into my head when something starts to hurt physically arrive. My ability to remain calm when I begin to feel pain like that is almost zero. I have spent so much time being injured that psychologically I really can't handle anyting major happen again.


When we got back into town from the ride Gordo, Bevan, Mark and I went and got some tasyt hamburgers. I think Bevan and Mark had about 5 cokes each! Even I can't do that. the spin back to the lodge was pretty hard with all that food in our stomacks. We ordered way too many fries as well and I was on the verge of barfing. The ride back confirmed that my knee was getting sore. We were do for a big ride the next day and normally I would just take some time down to let it heal up but in this environment it was making me extra pissy. I can only keep those feelings to myslef for so long and then when that period is over you will definantly know what is up if you are around me.


I just went back and chilled out by myself. I needed a good night sleep and thought that if I got a good rest the knee my feel better in the AM. Who know's? Anything is possible.


Again- No spell check.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmmm.... time estimations....

    SFO to Kona anyone? ;)

    What was it... we were 1 second difference between us and 40 seconds off the real time? That was fun.

    Email me when you get the chance... got some q's for ya about training in March/April when you get back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving checking in on you.... keep hanging tough.
    I know you are!
    XO ~
    Sharpie

    ReplyDelete