Friday, February 29, 2008

Team E-Race Hate

I have wanted to write a blog on the recent murder of 15 year old Lawerence King but haven't really known exactly what to say. This was a tragic incident on so many levels. It is so hard for most people to grasp the reality of this that they don't even begin to try. It just gets written off as a tragedy.


I don't want to write this off. I want people to understand that when we live in a society where a 14 year old boy kills a 15 year old boy in his class room that is filled with other students we are failing as a society. It has been labeled a hate crime stating that Lawerence King was shot because he was gay. No! That is NOT why he was shot.


Lawerence King was shot because our society has sent a message about being gay that is so strong and rage full that it would cause another human being to feel the need to go and commit an act of murder. You may say that Brandon McInerney, the 14 year old classmate that shot him, was just a minor and did not understand the severity of what he was doing. Well guess what people? Brandon McInerney will pay the price for his action but in my mind he will be serving time that is rightfully ours.


By "ours" I mean society's. Brandon IS a 14 year old kid and the fact that he pulled that trigger signifies a second crime. The second crime was committed by our society. It is time that we understand these incidents that happen are our OWN. We OWN them. All of us! Whether we choose to accept that or not.


It isn't just about the "gay" issue or the "gun" issue or the "violence in the media" issue or the "video game" issue or the "macho" issue. It is one big mess that results in incidents like this one. Where does it begin? Where does it end?


I'm not exactly sure what the answer to those questions are. I do know that we are not at the beginning or the end so we can disregard them and focus on where we are RIGHT NOW. Right now we are at a point where a 15 year old gay kid gets shot by his 14 year old class mate. Right now we are lacking in many areas of education that expands on understanding the differences in a society.


It seems on the surface that we are moving in the right direction regarding the "gay" issue. However, this incident has me questioning that. Do I feel that we are headed towards equality because there was a show called "Will and Grace" or "Queer Eye For The Straight Guy"? Do I feel that way because you are seeing talk and some action of Civil Unions? Possibly. But really, I think that for the most part gay people in this country are just one big lame novelty. I mean, civil unions aren't even close to the equality of marriage. And the gay people that you see in the media, well, does that really add to truth and understanding. I don't think it does.


Long Pause....


Okay this blog is proving to be way to hard for me to write because I grew up knowing that I was gay at about the age of 4. I lived with it silently until I was 19. Then I came out and then I had to "come out" again when I started this whole triathlon thing. My perspective of it is all over the map and I am finding that evertying I know and understand in my head about it is too complicated for me to wirte in a blog. Besides, so much of it can never be understood unless you experienced it for yourself. So let me try and get back and focus on the incident in Oxnard as best I can.


What we need to do is start with education. We need to get past the point of taboo around the subject. We can't move forward until we realize that addressing gay issues at younger ages is okay. If it was addressed when I was a kid I would be a completely different person. At times it saddens me that it wasn't. I don't want someone to go through what I went through and I certainly don't want more shootings or hate crimes to take place. I can guarantee that it will continue if we don't begin to take action now.


You may wonder how you can take action on this. Luckily I have created a way for anyone to help through a new program that I have started with The Matthew Shepard Foundation called Team E-Race Hate.


Matthew Shepard was murdered for being gay almost 10 years ago. In fact, the anniversary of his death will fall on October 12th of this year, the day before the Hawaii Ironman. His mother Judy has dedicated her life to his foundation which educates and enlightens others on the importance of diversity, understanding, compassion, acceptance and respect. While her son was murdered for being gay she feels that the mission of the foundation is meant for all.


I have decided to dedicate my entire triathlon career to help Judy Shepard spread her message. I love this sport so much and I see how so many come together to better themselves and everyone they come in contact with. What better forum for me to work in than triathlon?



What I have done is set up a fundraising program that works in two ways. The first is simply through financial donation to the program. I have created my own fundraising page that you can link to below and donate on line. The second is to decide that you want to dedicate a race you are doing to The Matthew Shepard Foundation and create your own personal fundraising page. My main goal is for Team E-Race Hate to raise $100,000 dollars by Oct 12th. I encourage athletes that decide to raise funds to commit to raising $1,000 dollars or more. We do have a marathon team that is recruiting specifically for the Bank of America Chicago Marathon which falls on Oct 12th. Anyone is welcome to the program and can recieve free coaching from me by signing up.


There will be fundraising incentives along the way and I am having Team E-Race Hate kits, visors and other gear made. I will keep you posted on how that is coming. In the mean time you can check out the website and my fundraising page below. You will also find all the information you need regarding The Matthew Shepard Foundation.

Team E-Race Hate Page:

http://www.matthewshepard.org/site/PageServer?pagename=Take_Action_Team_eRace_Hate_Lobby


BDC's Fundraising Page:

http://www.matthewshepard.org/site/TR/Events/General?px=1203161&pg=fund&fr_id=1120


The best thing about this cause is that we have our cure! We just need people to start distributing it. Please find a way to do what you can.

Thank you,

BDC

5 comments:

  1. Count me in. I want to help out and be a part the team. I do have a couple of Ironman races scheduled for this year that I could use as vehicles for fundraising.

    And check out Ellen's response to this tragic murder. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcMEL3_YsVI

    ReplyDelete
  2. Information like this breaks my heart. Hate crimes, of any kind, just go against my nature...

    Let me know if there is any way I can help, additionally....

    XO!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Brando,
    Thanks for writing about this. I think it is important for people to realize that the problem stems from how our society as a whole views and portrays gay people as a novelty, or different from heterosexuals.
    Can't wait to see you in a few!
    xxagl

    ReplyDelete
  4. good on you for getting this team together and trying to make a difference...the tradgedy in this post coupled with the one about Kristy makes me sad and makes me wonder where(and if) we are truly ever safe.
    it makes me want to hug everyone i care about today!
    {be safe}

    ReplyDelete